Monday, September 28, 2015

Ya Gotta Love the Girls:
            Many of you may not know it, but I volunteer as a tour guide at the Rose O’Neill home and museum a couple of days a month. Rose was the creator of the Kewpie Doll and many many other accomplishments. Google her.
            Last Friday, I was guiding a group of ladies from a tour bus through the home and found myself telling them how in the early 1900s, Rose led the trend for ladies to wear looser clothing and doing away with corsets. A shocking move, I’m sure. And I told them, as I always do, “You ladies can thank Rose O’Neill for the comfortable clothing you now wear.” And as usual the all said “Thank you Rose.”
            The ages of this group of about 30 women ran between 70 and 90, so they all had some experiences with fashion trends and as usual they started telling their stories. At that point, I usually try to get them moving on. But one of the older ladies started telling about her grandmother telling her of when they wore long dresses and multiple petticoats. When she began telling about the rubber strips they had sewn into the waist bands of their underwear, I was getting nervous. 
            She told how Granny went out on a date one evening with her boyfriend and another couple, and as they were coming out of the theater, she felt a snap. The next thing she felt was her drawers sliding down to her ankles. Someone asked “What did she do?”
            The speaker said, “She just stepped out of them under that long dress and walked away cool and comfortable.”

            The rest of the tour was a hoot as you can imagine. They cut loose and turned my ears red a few times, but I guess that means they had accepted me as just one of the girls.







Life is much too important to be taken seriously.”

 Books by Lou Bradshaw available on Amazon Kindle
 A Fine Kettle of Fish – Hickory Jack – Blue – Ace High – Blue NortherCain
–  One Man Standing – Rubio –  Cain…just Cain…. and now available…Spirit Valley
Visit me on Facebook Lou Bradshaw Artist – Author or www.facebook.com/loubradshawarts
Or you can contact me at loubradshaw7@gmail.com
Or at Amazon Author Central www.amazon.com/author/loubradshaw

1 comment:

  1. got me laughing so hard I am crying cousin. Will call soon

    ReplyDelete