Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Improbable John Denver:
          From the first time I heard “Country Road-West Virginia” I was hooked on John Denver. What was John Denver? He was a folk, country singer/song writer who excelled in crossover. Think about it. When he came along folk was dead and the new country hadn’t been born yet. He literally wrote and preformed in a genre that didn’t exist. Although his timing was lousy, his talent and musical style won him everything but the love of his wife. His fans numbered in the hundreds of millions worldwide, but he was always a square peg in a round hole.
          As a teen, he stole the family’s “other car” and took it from Texas to California only to find his father waiting there for him. His father, an Air Force test pilot and holder of speed records still unbroken, was tipped off by a friend as to John’s plan. They returned home to Texas and John was forced to finish school, along the way he learned to play the guitar, and the rest is history.

          I first heard “Country Road” on a TV variety show. He performed with his co-writers, a husband and wife team. She was at the time about 7 or 8 months pregnant, something unheard of on TV at that time. I’d never seen a pregnant woman on TV before. Now each time I hear the song, I get an image of them singing it, and I wonder if she is still pregnant.




 Books by Lou Bradshaw available on Amazon Kindle
 A Fine Kettle of Fish – Hickory Jack – Blue – Ace High – Blue NortherCain
–  One Man Standing – Rubio   And now….Cain…just Cain
Visit me on Facebook Lou Bradshaw Artist – Author or www.facebook.com/loubradshawarts
Or you can contact me at loubradshaw7@gmail.com
Or at Amazon Author Central www.amazon.com/author/loubradshaw

No comments:

Post a Comment