Thursday, May 21, 2015

A job in the hood:
            The summer I got out of high school, I took a job in a St. Louis factory. It was a deciding factor in what I didn’t want to do with the rest of my life. I worked from 4 pm until about 1 am, which is okay for an 18 year old kid. As it turned out the factory, which made BBQ grills was located close to my old neighborhood and employed several of the kids I went to grade school with. I have mentioned before that I drove a 1949 Ford Roman Candle during those years.

I came out of the plant one morning to find myself with a flat tire and no spare. I was getting ready to break the tire down and patch it when one of my old grade school chums said, “Hang on, we’ll get you fixed up.” and off they went. Within a half hour, he and his 2 buddies came down the alley rolling 4 relatively new white walled tires. We switched the tires, and as I was driving them home, we passed a used car lot with a 1949 Ford Roman Candle sitting up on blocks. The homeboys chuckled, and I tried not to look at it. If I hadn’t lost that job, I could have had a completely restored car by November, or I could’ve been doing 3 to 5 in Jefferson City.





Books by Lou Bradshaw available on Amazon Kindle
 A Fine Kettle of Fish – Hickory Jack – Blue – Ace High – Blue NortherCain
–  One Man Standing – Rubio   And now….Cain…just Cain
Visit me on Facebook Lou Bradshaw Artist – Author or www.facebook.com/loubradshawarts
Or you can contact me at loubradshaw7@gmail.com
Or at Amazon Author Central www.amazon.com/author/loubradshaw

No comments:

Post a Comment