Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Another (True) Boot Heel Tale:
            While I was attending SEMO State College, I worked in a town south of there as a …. cab driver. This town didn’t have a large population, but it had 2 cab companies, and I drove folks around from 6 pm to 6 am on Friday and Saturday nights… a job from the depths of hell. About 2 am one night, I picked up a fare at the jail… a very large and very intoxicated lady, who parked herself in the major half of the front seat (nobody ever rode in the back seat). She wanted a cigarette, but I didn’t have her brand, so she pulled out a really big knife and said she would do some unspeakable if not unimaginable things to me if I didn’t get her a Winston. Of course, nothing was open at that time, so I told her I’d get some at the cab station. When I got there, I told the dispatcher to call the cops. They came, they beat here around a bit, and then they hauled her off back to jail, and I had to go and make a complaint.

            My boss was furious, not at her, but at me because he had to call in another driver, since I was wasting my time filling out reports at the police station. He told me, “If you ever have something like that again, you shoot ‘em drive ‘em out of town, dump ‘em in a ditch, and get back to work….no one will be the wiser.” Then he gave me a little snub nosed pistol to carry, and I realized that he wasn’t kidding. I carried that gun for about a year, but I never shot anybody… that I’ll admit to.





Books by Lou Bradshaw available on Amazon Kindle
 A Fine Kettle of Fish – Hickory Jack – Blue – Ace High…and now… Blue Norther
Visit me on Facebook Lou Bradshaw Artist – Author or www.facebook.com/loubradshawarts

No comments:

Post a Comment